Progress in Movement
Progress in Organic Movement
- Uttarakhand embraced the idea and declared its intention to convert the hill districts to organic established “Uttarakhand Organic Commodity Board” in 2004 and initiated steps for creating Organic Certification Agency.
- The Government of India under Ministry of Agriculture, Department of Agriculture and Cooperation launched National Project on Organic Farming in the year 2005.
- First international trade fair entitled “India Organic – 2005” launched in November 2005 at Lal Bagh, Bangalore
- Later, State Governments of Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka drafted organic agricultural policies.
- Promotion of organic agriculture was included in many centrally sponsored schemes of Government of India such as National Horticulture Mission (NHM) and RKVY.
- State Governments of Nagaland and Mizoram declared their intention to go 100% organic in due course of time.
- State Governments of Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh drafted and declared policies for adoption of organic agriculture.
- Rapid increase in area under organic certification process
- Growing awareness among consumers and emergence of organic food market in India.